No Desktop

Feb 20, 2019 - 7:37 AM

• Is a copy of the LUbuntu operating system available yet? The Pi will not run in desktop mode and will only display text and terminal mode. Ctrl-Alt-F7 only opens another terminal window. It appears that the desktop gui is completely gone.

• I just reinstalled standard lubuntu 18.10 and it worked without issues.

• Thank you. It is now working with a new install. Do you know a quick way to get the GPIO files?

• Did you happen to make a copy of the default install? If so have a look here for the location of the GPIO-only related files (a bit more is needed for the i2c-gpio-custom service and functionality of the bno055 sensor and I've not gotten around to looking at that yet.):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atomic_Pi/comments/ap8so2/blink_a_led/

The fourth reply in that post I (radu797) give the locations of the files needed for the GPIO's on a fresh install of lubuntu. If you haven't checked out that reddit sub-topic on the AtomicPi it has some good info there in addition to all posts here. That is also where the fix that I posted on getting the HDMI audio working that someone else passed along to you came from.

I also posted them on this forum here:

https://dlidirect.com/community/champ/forums/1778-atomic-pi-user-forum/topics/4632-atomicpi-and-gpio-python-libraries

If you didn't happen to make a backup of the original files as shipped on the AtomicPi I could post them if Martin with Digital Loggers has no objection. I'm hoping that they make all of those available to us via their GitHub repository soon though.

This post was edited Feb 23, 2019 02:22AM
  • Hi radu7,

Thank you for the information. I saved your forum message strings to a file for later viewing.

I did not make a copy of the default install. I am a first time Linux/LUbuntu user and am working hard to learn it. I am not young so it is a slow process.

The audio did not work on both Atomic Pi devices so I am not sure what happened as I did not make any changes before testing the audio on both devices.

• Hi Rebecca,

You're most welcome. The HDMI audio didn't work on any of mine out-of-the-box either and didn't work immediately after a fresh Lubuntu 18.04 LTS install to SD card which led me to work out that fix. I did read from others, however, that a fresh Lubuntu 18.10 install had the HDMI audio sorted without having to make any changes/fixes. I wanted to stick with one of the LTS (Long Term Support) releases so I went with 18.04.

That's great that you're diving in and learning Linux! I think you'll enjoy using Linux and the whole process of learning it. The fact that you've ventured out, gotten a SBC and already done a clean install of Linux on it is quite good progress for someone that's totally new to this. I've been using Linux since the early 90's and other versions of Unix earlier than that, but find that things still change rapidly enough to keep just about everyone on their toes.

If I get some time over the weekend I'll pull those files and put them out on a GitHub repo for people to download until the official ones get posted. I'm hoping Martin and team will post all of the additions they made to the original Lubuntu distribution that are specific to the AtomicPI soon.

• Hello again radu7,
    Are you able to tell me how I might get the file /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/atomicpi.pyc? Both of my devices are missing that one file. The other files you mentioned, in previous post, exist on both devices.

• Hi Rebecca,
    I don't know of a place to get those files other than off of another AtomicPi, but I'll pull all of it off for you this evening and place it out on a GitHub repo so you can download from there. I'll reply here when it's available.

• Thank you. Both Pii/Pis/Pi? are missing the one file. I appreciate your willingness to help.

• Here you go:
    https://bitbucket.org/radu7/atomicpi/downloads/AtomicPi.tar.gz

The above linked archive (just under 6MB) contains the GPIO python libraries, sample programs, documentation and some of the bno055 libraries (they won't work without the i2c-gpio-custom kernel module/service, but I added them for future use.) from an original install.

If you just grab these files and place them in their proper locations (skip the bno055 ones for now) and have installed python2.7 on a clean install of Lubuntu the GPIO python example will work so you can at least start experimenting with that part of the board. There are two additional files in the 'samples' directory: gpio-test-on.py is the same as the gpio-test.py and the gpio-test-off.py simply turns the breakout board LED back off, nothing special.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you. I will see what happens.

• Hi again radu7.

I think the BNO055 sensor is really working!!! The following is produced when running the bno055-test.py program.

Euler=359.94:1.12:-0.62 Quaternion=0.01:-0.01:0.00:1.00 Temp=44.00C Mag=41.56:6.56:-20.50 Gyr=-0.00:-0.00:-0.00 Accel=0.21:0.11:10.01 LAccel=0.01:0.00:0.20 Gravity=0.20:0.11:9.80
    Euler=359.94:1.12:-0.62 Quaternion=0.01:-0.01:0.00:1.00 Temp=44.00C Mag=42.25:7.00:-20.50 Gyr=-0.00:-0.00:0.00 Accel=0.22:0.10:10.01 LAccel=0.02:-0.01:0.20 Gravity=0.20:0.11:9.80
    Euler=359.94:1.12:-0.62 Quaternion=0.01:-0.01:0.00:1.00 Temp=44.00C Mag=43.38:6.56:-21.75 Gyr=-0.00:0.00:0.00 Accel=0.20:0.09:9.94 LAccel=0.02:0.00:0.08 Gravity=0.20:0.11:9.80

or I am guessing that it works based upon the stuff it produced :-)

There are a lot of little quirks here and there but I don't want to reinstall the operating system after putting so much effort into getting everything else running (Vino, Netbeans, Java, etc.).

• Hi Rebecca,

Awesome! That is the type of output you should see if the bno055 sensor is operational. I hadn't tested it on one of my fresh installs, but made a bit of an assumption that it would not function properly without a bit more effort aside from copying over the files. That's great news.