No sound. Slow boot. No youtube. WiFi weak. Chromium and Firefox eventually crash

Apr 4, 2019 - 9:34 PM

• I also have the sound problem. While trying to solve it, I also encounter various other error messages. Trying to fix things, I get messages in Terminal that various updates fail. This is one of them I have been trying to solve: Errors were encountered while processing: grub-efi-amd64-signed

When I restart the Atomic Pi, it takes exactly 2 minutes and 41 seconds until I get the login screen. The screen says

Checking media presence......
    Media Present......
    Start PXE over IPv4.

Then after a while, it changes to the same, except IPv6

(I have an Ethernet cable connected to the router, because the WiFi is very weak/slow. Do I need to buy a WiFi antenna and attach it somewhere?)

I didn't insert any memory card, is that needed? The following is connected (I got the Atomipc Pi with breakout board):

HDMI monitor
    USB keyboard (no hub)
    USB mouse dongle (for wireless mouse) on breakout board USB port
    5V 6A power supply to the breakout board green connector
    Ethernet cable directly into router

I changed the sign on name and password, and I set a root password.

The sound doesn't work. If I start the test mentioned in another thread, I get white noise in left and right channel, using address 0,2. I have been where I could open the volume control, but now when I open it to settings, it says something about cannot connect, trying again in 5 seconds.

Youtube doesn't work in Chromium nor Firefox. It loads up but a circular loading rotating arrow is all I get. If I log into Facebook, I can see videos. But a few minutes of Facebook or other feature rich websites, makes the browser and eventually the entire Ubunto crash. To an extent where even CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work any more.

My experience with Raspberry Pi and Unix/Linux/Ubuntu is quite limited (Normally using Max OS X)

This post was edited Apr 4, 2019 09:37PM
  • When I remove the ethernet cable, boot time reduces from 2:41 to 0:24.

And then it shows that no boot error message that others also have (yet still boots)

• Some of the error messages went away. I just did this, seemingly without errors:

atomicpi@localhost:~$ sudo apt-get --purge --reinstall install pulseaudio
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 1459 not upgraded.
    Need to get 793 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu cosmic-updates/main amd64 pulseaudio amd64 1:12.2-0ubuntu5 [793 kB]
    Fetched 793 kB in 4s (216 kB/s)

debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
    (Reading database ... 217083 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../pulseaudio_1%3a12.2-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking pulseaudio (1:12.2-0ubuntu5) over (1:12.2-0ubuntu5) ...
    Setting up pulseaudio (1:12.2-0ubuntu5) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.2-1ubuntu1) ...
    <

except I am still getting this, after booting: Grayed out speaker icon. Connection to pulseaudio failed. will try again in 5s

and this:

atomicpi@localhost:~$ start-pulseaudio-x11
    Connection failure: Connection refused
    pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
    atomicpi@localhost:~$
    <

but the speaker test works (on port 2):

atomicpi@localhost:~$ speaker-test -D hw:0,2 -c 2 -r 48000
    speaker-test 1.1.3
    Playback device is hw:0,2
    Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
    Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
    Buffer size range from 256 to 153600
    Period size range from 256 to 153600
    Using max buffer size 153600
    Periods = 4
    was set period_size = 38400
    was set buffer_size = 153600
    0 - Unknown
    1 - Unknown
    Time per period = 4.393508
    <

This post was edited Apr 4, 2019 10:58PM
  • I got a micro SD card for the purpose and downloaded the full pack image - atomicpi_ubuntu_cosmic_lxqt_standalone_1.0.0.141.zip - and I am now up with LXQT instead. Youtube works, also full screen, sound is on, and everything is much nicer so far.

I'm a bit of a newbee so still need to find out where to set up the WiFi (using ethernet cable for internet for now)

Doing the image from a Mac, I should probably have used the AtomicPi to make it instead. My card reader must be very slow, because transferring the image took forever. No progress bar in terminal (from Mac OS anyway, the extra attributes didn't work), so I ended up letting it sit overnight and in the morning, it was done. There was an error message, and I couldn't mount the uSD card with the card reader any more - but plugging it into the Atomic Pi - and it booted as it should. I made it FAT_32 partition and as a boot partition. Seems to have done the trick.

I think I need a faster card reader - how low time does it normally take to DD the image to the card?

• I had the same issue, booting off the sd card with the 18.10 lubuntu image (1.0.0.141) seems to work fine. It also fixed an issue I was having with video scaling. I'll write it to the on board memory after a bit more testing. I wonder why they don't make that image the default(?).