So far what has everyone done with their atomic pi?

May 23, 2019 - 11:52 PM

• So far I have the 3d printed case that someone wonderful has posted on here which I drilled holes in for the wifi antennas. I also made the power adapter that another person had shown. The only issues I've had so far are getting hdmi audio working and YouTube as the test for audio running at like 20x speed while the image is frozen in mint cinnamon 19.1. I purchased a second api to use as a run a Nas faster than my router can since it maxes out at about 30mb/s.

This post was edited May 24, 2019 03:50AM
  • Well, you're more industrious than I am. I had mine ten days before I even tried to crank it up.
    I got the big addon board with just the one APi. I'm using an old ATX power supply that's still good (just under powered for new video card) and I have one of the Molex connectors plugged into the Molex socket.
    I've given up on the Lubuntu loaded with it. Never could get Wifi to work and constantly getting errors about permissions for this that and the other thing. I finally loaded the x86 version of Raspbian on it. I use it with my Pi's and another old laptop and it works for me. Might not be the leanest, meanest, greatest, etc... but hey, it works for me.
    Found some some old antennas from a couple of laptops and plugged them in. They appear to work quite well. I'm booting from a 32G USB 3.0 drive (Raspbian with persistence) for now. Trying to decide if I want to just blow away the original and start from scratch.
    I haven't tested sound yet. I'm on adapters from HDMI to DVI/VGA to my plain Jane monitor.
    So far the installed heat sink seems to be sufficient. I haven't put it through anything intensive though. Got the Cura Slicer and played with some Tinkercad to see how peppy this could be as a pc for the 3d printer and Octoprint. That will be next step, install a camera and load up OP. Maybe find a less intrusive PS for it.

• Testing out Lubuntu (installed from iso dd'd to USB) with linuxcnc. So far have built a rt kernel and run some latency tests. First tried Debian Stretch with XFCE, but LXDE uses less resources.
    Wifi worked out of the box with the preinstalled image.

• Thomas I i had to install the newest lubantu 19.04 to get everything working properly it still seems to be a little too heavy for the hardware since it keeps locking up just trying to install retropi from terminal. I've tried a few different os on it at this point and so far lubantu is the smoothest experience. I'll give raspian a go tonight since it runs better on my pi 3b+ than lubantu runs on this which is a shame given the specs of this board.

• (1) Built a box and power connector from laying-around-the-house parts: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bZPYGLgqgkeBDmwx5

(2) Verified that none of the GL issues seen in my Qt apps (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awq491oGQi8 ) on Raspberry Pi ( e.g. https://github.com/QUItCoding/qnanopainter/issues/45 ) are present on the Atomic Pi (using stock lubuntu distro).

(3) Will demo my findings on atomic pi and raspberry pi at local Qt Meetup. ( https://www.meetup.com/OC-Qt-QML/events/261666713/ ).

• It is a truly excellent MythTV frontend (https://www.mythtv.org/). Highly recommend.

• So far i have experimented with several distros but have settled on using it as a Android TV box by installing X86 7.1.2, will probably try out Android 8.1 very soon.

• Ok, well I have been having a play, I was looking for a low powered computer solution that I could install on my yacht with a number of future projects for the yacht in mind.
    Anyway I decided to have a play with a windows install to see how it performed, wasnt much point in installing windows on the internal storage as it simply is not enough, so as an initial test i decided to run windows from sd cards as a starting point.
    I have had windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 64 bit runiing on a 32GB sd card and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit running on a 64GB sd card. The onboard 16GB can then just be used for general storage.
    Considering its just on SD cards for testing It runs pretty well have sound working through HDMI with no problems youtube etc working fine with wifi connections etc so my next move is to shift the windows intall to an SSD drive as i wouldnt expect and sd cards to last very long with this type of setup.
    In the very near future I will be designing an enclosure to 3d print which will also combine an arduino as I am using an arduino for a control panel on the yacht with a touch screen for boat electronics. The enclusre will also have some additional expansion to include a couple more USB ports to make setup a little easier with usb keyboard/mouse etc.
    This will be an ongoing project as I have quite a lot in mind for the yacht, I may install navionics on it to use as a chart plotter, will see, I currently have that installed on my tablet which by the way I also use to RDP to the atommic pi giving me windows on my android tablet which comes in handy.
    I will also be taking a look at the onboard GPIO etc to see what use I can make of it, only just got my Atomic PI so its early days yet.
    Anyway, good luck with your projects,
    Alan.

• Yeah!!!!! Someone who gets the Atomic Pi.

Come to the Darkside Alan, we have Linux & cookies. But I guess in your situation the software you need is mostly Windows.
    Keep us posted, you seem like a Man With a Plan.

Just in case.......
    Remember that that the GPIO's aren't 5 volt tolerant.
    74LVC245 are can cope with 5volt inputs when run at 3.3.v
    http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74lvc245a.pdf

• I appreciate the heads up, yes I was aware of the voltages.
    It was just a breif summary of what Im upto without all the technical details, thanks for your enthusiasm. Im not biased to windows but yes some apps u just cant get on Linux distro's.
    Thx for the cookies, lol
    Alan.

• The GPIOs are indeed 5v tolerant, look at the schematic then the data sheet for the NTS0104GU12 level shifter. Used as an output they may not trigger a 1 on a 5v chip without a pull up resistor.

• Ok had a quick look, so 6.5v would be the absolute max then ?
    I was interpreting the voltage nodes, mentioned at the beginning of the sheet, being relative to VCCa & VCCb.

• Have now migrated from running windows on an SD card over to an M.2 SSD drive, seems to be working ok so far so now its time to think about designing an enclosure, may as well run the cad software on the PI as a test while I design.

• @ Joel Goldwein, I bought one for a MythTV front end as well. working good so far, and most important NO FAN!!!

This post was edited Jun 19, 2019 09:02PM
  • Had mine working pretty hard for several hours yesterday, while it didnt overheat it did get a little toasty, I am now designing an enclosure which will also hold my m.2 ssd and an arduino, the ssd can also get a little warm so I will be adding a cooling solution. Probably just a fan will be enough, just to get some airflow.

• how do you connect M.2?

https://youtu.be/hhVK3TzBe7c

Alan Tompkins,
    did you make any special steps to get the sound on windows or it was just found?

This post was edited Jun 30, 2019 03:35AM
  • Hi Stefan,
    To connect an M.2 SSD drive you will need a USB to M.2 adaptor they are quite common these days. As far as sound goes on windows, and I assume here that you mean through HDMI, windows does not automatically find/install drivers. You can use software such as Driver Booster which will find the driver you need, I have also seen some drivers kicking about on other posts but havnt checked if they work.
    Hope that helps,
    Alan.

• I spent a fun day installing the 6/20 Disco image to emmc, fixing niggles like polkit-1, and installing the knossos launcher for Freespace Open & mods (hard-light.net). I'm glad to say the game runs very well on the APi. Storage space was an issue, so I made my sd card executable by adding a line to /etc/fstab:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/1234-5678 /media/sdcard vfat nofail,exec,dmask=000,fmask=000,gid=atomicpi,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Not sure all that is needed but it took hours of trial and error, and frequent use of a recovery USB drive, to get things working so I'm disinclined to change it now.

Then, when running knossos for the first time, I set the install directory to /media/sdcard/games/... Good old-school alien pew-pewing fun.

P.S. I printed a case for the APi. It's written in Openscad, so easy to modify. Files here:
    https://hackaday.io/project/166312-fallout-shelter-atomic-pi-enclosure

P.P.S. Replace 1234-5678 with the UUID of your sd card. (sudo blkid and look for /dev/sda1)

This post was edited Jul 5, 2019 01:07AM
  • Hello,

my name is Mark from Cologne/Germany and I am a proud owner of an Atomic Pi since yesterday. My brother-in-law ordered an Atomic Pi via Amazon.com. He has falsely assumed that this is a kind of Raspberry Pi. When he unpacked the part the day before yesterday (of course without breakout board and matching power supply), the big shock came and he was immediately on my phone.

Result: I bought him the Atomic Pi yesterday for 30 €.

Today was my great craft day: I have installed the Atomic Pi in an old Mediapi case from Rapberry Pi 1 times, provided with an on / off button and extended via the webcam port by 4 USB 2.0.

Then I tested operating systems: The preinstalled Ubuntu was quite problematic. With Lubuntu 19.10, however, the Atomic Pi runs very neat. Libreelec is stable and fluid. TvHeadend server and PVR-hts work flawlessly. The performance is felt to be the same with my 2GB Raspberry Pi 4, but is currently the better choice for Libreelec, as LibreELEC Generic Stable runs on it. Of course, the Atomic Pi does not stand a chance against my Odroid N2. About the various other connection options, which are apparently designed for predominantly industrial purposes, I have to inform myself in detail ... but now is first time for today!

https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Attachment/35932-IMG-20190712-225604-jpg/

Cheers
    Mark

This post was edited Jul 12, 2019 07:10PM
  • To answer the question posed by this thread, I am using it as a thin client remote desktop terminal to remote into my real machine that hosts VMs. For that particular purpose it works really well. It was a major challenge getting windows installed on it because for some stupid reason windows doesn't allow installation on removable media such as USB, micros card, etc and at the same time the 16gb mmc isn't enough for a typical windows installation. I refuse to use Linux (I don't live in 1932 thank you). RDP for the win! Oh and go Seahawks :)

This post was edited Sep 10, 2019 11:49PM