Problem with debian stretch boot after installation

May 28, 2019 - 11:27 AM

• Immediately after install from usb stick, I was able to boot into the new installation on the uSD card. Subsequently, the boot fails because one of the parameters in the boot cmdline is /dev/sdb2. However, after removing the USB stick, the uSD is /dev/sda. So, subsequent boot attempt fails, then the uSD appears not to be seen by the boot process any more. Any suggestions on what to do???

• Hmm...
    Have you thought of loading Stretch to the emmc and blowing away the installed lubuntu?
    I think that's where I'm gonna go.

• Thomas has the right idea.
    When I did the install to emmc I left the partitions as is and told the installer to format the non UEFI partition and use that as root.
    ie: I think it was the custom option for the partitioner and I didn't touch the sizes at all.

• I'd still like to know what AtomicPi is doing to make a partition invisible?
    I guess, if I write to the emmc and trash it, I can stick in a uSD that will boot. :-)

This post was edited May 29, 2019 04:25PM
  • I wrote another uSD (16gb) from the Stretch USB installer. After rebooting with the USB stick still in, I edited the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and changed occurrences of sdb2 with sda2. Next I used Applepi Baker to back up the uSD to a .iso file. I tested that to make sure it would boot, then I added the development files that I wanted on my installation to be able to compile things like kernels and linuxcnc and backed it up again. Now I have a uSD image that I can work from to create bootable stretch images (without having to spend hours reloading the development environment). The 16gb uSD is almost full so I will use Etcher to write a 32gb uSD to work from. I will just have to expand the partition and file system to fill the 32gb uSD.
    Once I get a preempt_rt kernel working, I will consider writing the stuff to the emmc.