Help Sata / GPIO / Ram

Jun 5, 2019 - 7:18 PM

• Hello.
    I am looking for information about the possibility of installing one or more hard drives in Sata 6 Gb.
    For the moment I have found only one USB 3 adapter to Sata.
    Is it possible to connect the hard disk(s) otherwise?
    Is there full compatibility with GPIO extension cards for the Sata of Raspberry-pi or others for example?
    Can used another type of adapter to connect one or more Sata 6 Gb hard drives to the card?
    Another question, do you think it is possible to install additional RAM via adapter where directly?
    Thanks for the help, I’m looking to create a NAS and also make a home automation server with the same Atomic pie card

Bonjour.
    Je suis à la recherche d'informations sur la possibilité d'installer un ou plusieurs disque dur en Sata 6 Gb.
    Pour le moment je n'ai trouvé qu'un adaptateur USB 3 vers Sata.
    Est-il possible de brancher le ou les disques durs autrement?
    Y a-t-il une compatibilité totale avec les cartes extension en GPIO pour le Sata des raspberry-pi ou autres par exemple?
    Peut ont utilisé un autre type d'adaptateur pour brancher un ou des disques durs Sata 6 Gb sur la carte?
    Autre question, pensez-vous qu'il est possible d'installer de la mémoire vive supplémentaire par adaptateur où directement?
    Merci pour l'aide apporté, je cherche à créé un NAS et aussi faire un serveur domotique avec la même carte Atomic-pi

• I hope this answer doesn't sound negative.

I am looking for information about the possibility of installing one or more hard drives in Sata 6 Gb.

For the moment I have found only one USB 3 adapter to Sata.

Is it possible to connect the hard disk(s) otherwise?
    The camera port is a actually a USB2.0 port, it's USB or nothing.

Is there full compatibility with GPIO extension cards for the Sata of Raspberry-pi or others for example?
    No. For further information regarding the pinouts on connectors is available on the FAQ page which is linked elsewhere in this forum.

Can used another type of adapter to connect one or more Sata 6 Gb hard drives to the card?
    No, the Atomic Pi has very few options for extra peripherals as it was designed for a single use application, which was a home robotics application.

Another question, do you think it is possible to install additional RAM via adapter where directly?
    No, the x5 Z8350 (T3 package) can only support max 2GB Ram according to the Intel Docs. The X8000 family of processors comes in 2 packages the T3 & T4. The T4 package has physically more pins (and can support more ram) than the T3 family.

If you really need the full SATA 6Gbp speeds and more than 2GB ram the Atomic Pi is not really the platform for that.

• tx Robert murphy
    i will not stop at that and will use atomic pi best he can.
    over that did you think it is will be out nearly V2 off or Rev B?
    tx for your all respond faster.
    on last did you think it is accessible the pci-e interface?
    tx again
    have good day

• No problems mate, glad to help out.

Access to the PCIe bus ?
    A theory on how one might achieve this:
    Would require unsoldering the LAN chip and connecting some very fine wires to a connector from the PCB (noise maybe an issue doing this). I think it maybe only a single port interface...ie only one device at a time.
    I don't know about the BIOS side tho.
    A few people have tried it had no luck, tried to put the LAN chip back and ended up with no LAN.

I haven't heard anything official when or if another version maybe out. Considering it looks very very likely the boards where bought as surplus stock via auction form a company that went broke, it's hard to guess about another version. If there is it is very doubtful if they could come in at $35........if they could it would be amazing and a stroke of genius.
    The fact they chose to sell these boards at $35 was fantastic (almost a gift to tinkerers), even at $50 - 70 they would have been a great buy for us tinkerers.

• It seems some manufacturers have managed to use 4GB RAM with the Z5-X8350, but I can't find any information as to how they do this. The UP board is an example of this.
    https://up-board.org/up/specifications/
    The 2GB limit is directly from the Intel Data sheets.

• tx alot robert for all respond
    hop i will succes my progesct
    have good day

• Has anybody tried using USB-attached-SCSI similar to the Cloudshell-2 product on the odroid?? Would at least the disk controller parts of this work with the USB-3 port on the API?

https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-on_boards/xu4_cloudshell2/xu4_cloudshell2

adds support for USB Attached SCSI (UAS or UASP) and useful data storage technologies (RAID0, RAID1 and SPAN). It offers dual slots for 3.5 HDD/SSD drives. The CloudShell2 also includes a USB3.0 to SATA bridge (JMicron JMS561) which supports UAS and allows installation of dual 3.5SATA HDD/SSD storage.

https://ameridroid.com/collections/kits/products/cloudshell2-nas-kit

https://magazine.odroid.com/wp-content/uploads/ODROID-Magazine-201704.pdf

This post was edited Jun 16, 2019 06:20PM
  • wow that looking hard too connected. also its no need all that stuf only on ligne pci-e to connected Sata if im good ^