SDcard with Android

Jun 8, 2019 - 3:35 PM

• I installed Bliss-OS (a fork of Android-X86) to eMMC.

Everything appears to work ok but if I insert an sdcard and try to prepare it for use, it wipes the eMMC and I have to reinstall the OS.

Are SD cards handled differently? Is there a special driver needed?

Thanks,
    Duane

• Now if I try to reinstall to eMMC I get the following error if I try to repartition.

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 0: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder
    Press any key to exit cfdisk

This post was edited Jun 8, 2019 03:42PM
  • I booted a Linux rescue image and used gparted to delete the partitions and recreate them, then reinstalled the OS.

Now I am unable to boot directly to eMMC. I have to boot from a USB stick.

The eMMC isn't even listed by the BIOS as a boot option but I'm able to mount and access it when booting from USB.

This post was edited Jun 9, 2019 06:57PM
  • The first partition on the emmc should be have an id of ef and start at sector 2048.
    Best way to recover to the originl OS is to download an image from DL, unzip, copy it to a bootable usb stick and run this.

dd if=/where/you/put/the/image.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024k oflag=dsync status=progress

Images available at:
    https://www.digital-loggers.com/downloads/index.html#API_IMAGES

Readme for the images:
    https://www.digital-loggers.com/downloads/atomicpi_readme.txt

When I have installed a new version of Linux on the emmc I leave the partition table as is and install to the Linux partition, just choosing to reformat and mount at / (root)

The following is the output of running fdisk -l on one of the unzipped images. I think on first boot the root partition is resized to fill the disk. (formatting is a bit out) but you should get the idea.

atomicpi_debian_buster_lxde_standalone.img: 7 GiB, 7462318080 bytes, 14574840 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xfd9972cb

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    atomicpi_debian_buster_lxde_standalone.img1 264192 14574839 14310648 6.8G 83 Linux
    atomicpi_debian_buster_lxde_standalone.img2 2048 264191 262144 128M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

This post was edited Jun 10, 2019 02:14AM
  • That's what I ended up doing. Apparently preparing the sdcard from within Android wiped out the original partitioning on eMMC.

So I know now not to do that again. It would be nice if Android would see the sd card slot though.

This post was edited Jun 10, 2019 01:12PM