So far what has everyone done with their atomic pi?

May 23, 2019 - 11:52 PM

• I refuse to use Linux (I don't live in 1932 thank you)

Seriously?

Have you had a look at recent distros?

• Running My Media for Alexa on mine. Had a lot of music/OTR/podcasts on my PC using MediaMonkey to manage them. Copied the .mp3s to an SSD and connected it to the Atomic Pi. The tags need work on some of them; I'll edit them with MediaMonkey then recopy.

My Media for Alexa has a beta feature where you can access the command she hears and substitute a different one. This is very nice for album or song requests which come through her speech-recognition system in a wording that doesn't match the actual title.

• I bought the Atomic Pi as a compute engine for an IBM System/370 replica. I started the project with a Raspberry Pi but I wanted something with a little more Zoot the make for a more impressive project. I built a custom case that represent the section of a 370 that has the operator console panel. I made a replica panel with MANY holes for the various display elements. For software I have installed the standard Ubuntu Disco image and the Hercules IBM S/370 emulator. This proved to be very easy to accomplish. I then installed TK4 which includes IBM MVS 3.8j operating system. Since most IBM systems of this size commonly ran several operating systems, I am also going to install VMS/370 and MUSIC/SP.

The real challenge will be animating the Operator Console panel as it has a myriad of lights and indicators. For this I am using an Arduino connected to the Atomic Pi via serial console so that the emulator can tell the arduino which indicators to illuminate.

If you come to the Vintage Computer Fest Pacific Northwest in Seattle in March, you can see it in action.

• Learning about SSH, different linux distros.
    Also pairing so far 9 units on a tower, powered by a single 300W brick; doing boinc.
    Only 4 units so far are running. Waiting for parts.

• Alan Tompkins:
    Ok, well I have been having a play, I was looking for a low powered computer solution that I could install on my yacht with a number of future projects for the yacht in mind.
    Anyway I decided to have a play with a windows install to see how it performed, wasnt much point in installing windows on the internal storage as it simply is not enough, so as an initial test i decided to run windows from sd cards as a starting point.
    I have had windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 64 bit runiing on a 32GB sd card and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit running on a 64GB sd card. The onboard 16GB can then just be used for general storage.
    Considering its just on SD cards for testing It runs pretty well have sound working through HDMI with no problems youtube etc working fine with wifi connections etc so my next move is to shift the windows intall to an SSD drive as i wouldnt expect and sd cards to last very long with this type of setup.
    In the very near future I will be designing an enclosure to 3d print which will also combine an arduino as I am using an arduino for a control panel on the yacht with a touch screen for boat electronics. The enclusre will also have some additional expansion to include a couple more USB ports to make setup a little easier with usb keyboard/mouse etc.
    This will be an ongoing project as I have quite a lot in mind for the yacht, I may install navionics on it to use as a chart plotter, will see, I currently have that installed on my tablet which by the way I also use to RDP to the atommic pi giving me windows on my android tablet which comes in handy.
    I will also be taking a look at the onboard GPIO etc to see what use I can make of it, only just got my Atomic PI so its early days yet.
    Anyway, good luck with your projects,
    Alan.

look into openmarine its opencpn,and a lot of other goodys

• Right now I'm running Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa, and running it on the black screen interface to run a 24/7 Terraria server. I had to bump up the swap file to like 5.3 GB to make sure it has enough RAM (2GB is NOT enough for a Terraria server, it maxes out just initializing, and crashes when someone tries to join unless there's plenty of swap RAM), but it's running flawlessly right now! The x86_64 architecture is a huge plus for game server applications, and the gigabit Ethernet is a must have! Even though the heatsink probably does plenty for cooling, I keep a small undervolted PC fan on top just to make sure it stay cool. And it does! Room temperature, day in and day out!
    For some reason though the GUI on Xubuntu acts up, leaves dead spots, phantom boxes, and residual cursors all over the place. I think the graphics driver isn't quite happy, but I'm running it on the terminal interface anyways, so no need for GUI.

This post was edited Oct 6, 2020 10:42AM
  • Robert murphy:
    Testing out Lubuntu (installed from iso dd'd to USB) with linuxcnc. So far have built a rt kernel and run some latency tests. First tried Debian Stretch with XFCE, but LXDE uses less resources.
    Wifi worked out of the box with the preinstalled image.

Can you tell us how it works with linuxcnc?

• I'm running two with my AI system: https://github.com/wb666greene/AI-Person-Detector

One is running Ubuntu-Mate 20.04 and using a Coral TPU USB AI accelerator.

The other runs Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 and OpenVINO 2020.3 and a pair of now obsolete Movidius NCS sticks, but I have them already and together they about match the NCS2 in performance for this workload. This requires a powered USB3 hub, I use an expensive Inland brand from Microcenter.

They run 24/7 and the heat sink is barely warm to touch, but the USB AI co-processor sticks are doing the heavy lifting while they are hot, they are not so hot that you can't hold on to them.

• Rob Carnegie
    Rob Carnegie ,
    sounds cool. I started in 360 days. 370 wow modern. Got any pics?

This post was edited Mar 27, 2021 10:57PM
  • I refuse to use Linux (I don't live in 1932 thank you)

I want a DEC PDP-8 with front panel switches and paper tape reader. Oh, darnit!!!! That's post-1932.

• Well, I actually got myself 2 Atomic PI's

While at it, the best OS for it as a desktop is the one I am using on the one I have working as my Media Center receiver, eLive Linux, the donation is definitely worth it for the 64bit version.

My other AtomicPI is my WiFi Access router, basically it is working as a WiFi client for my Landlords WiFi (5Ghz) then routing it over ethernet to my local network, basically everything on my end is running over ethernet. This was needed due to not only the number of devices I am using but also, and mainly because, of my NAS server. If I were to be running my stuff over WiFi I'd be trashing the WiFi network for everyone, specially when I have large transfers to/from the NAS. This also improves available bandwidth for everyone including myself as using only one WiFi client for everything on my end ensures that the WiFi is not overloaded with many devices fighting for access. So basically better for everybody.
    Anyway, this AtomicPI is running OpenWRT x86-64 UEFI which I have actually found an image for the AtomicPI.
    This is definitely overkill as a router, but I also have a number of other things setup there, for example I added a 64Gb SD card where I actually have the cache for my transparent proxy which I have running there as well to minimize duplicated downloads (typically these would be OS updates that more than one device will need to download). I also have ClamAV running on it and two VLANs on the LAN side (I have a fully managed switch), the second VLAN basically is set to use for PXE/BootP Network Booting for OS Installations and System Maintenance tools that otherwise would be booted from USB.

Have some other stuff there too such as VPN client and server (actually need both).

If anyone has any questions drop a line :)